Team Gumboot Dancing: up to 500 delegates (200 with overalls) or 1000 with drumming
Gumboot dancing originated in the gold mines of Johannesburg, deep down in the shafts. The miners used the sounds of stepping together, smacking their boots, clapping their hands and dancing together to create a gumboot dance rhythm to distract them from the long treacherous hours beneath the ground and to operate as a team.
We dress each delegate with an overall and a pair of gumboots with bottle top shakers, true miners style. Our professional facilitators will teach you a few basic dance steps, which form a “gumboot dance routine”, and within minutes your delegates will be dancing as a team.
How does it work?
- We will provide a pair of gumboots with traditional ankle bottle top shakers, mining helmets / bandanas and a one piece overall.
- Our team of authentic and professional Gumboot facilitators will teach the group a few basic dance steps and movements.
- We will teach you how to use the gumboots and your body to make the slapping and stomping sounds to create musical rhythm far beyond your imagination.
- By combining these steps and movements the group builds a dance routine choreographed by our facilitators.
- The group learns a traditional mining song.
- Depending on the size of the group, we will split them into smaller groups, demonstrating the importance of teamwork, motivation, communication and group synergy.
- The event ends with the entire company / group performing the sequence together, as a team, co-operating rather than competing against one another.
- At the end of the event each delegate is motivated and experiences a sense of achievement.